What is the Missouri A+ Scholarship and how can it be used?
Raytown School District encourages all eligible students to participate in the A+ Tuition Assistance Program offered by the State of Missouri. The A+ Scholarship pays for two years (the equivalent of an Associate's Degree or Career Training Certification) tuition at a Missouri based community college or vocational training center. Funding of the program is determined yearly by the state legislature.
- Important Note: While the A+ Scholarship was designed to pay for community college tuition, it is important to also note that many 4-year colleges and universities in Missouri offer "A+ Incentive Scholarships" which award scholarships to A+ eligible students. Contact the university's Financial Aid Office to determine if their school offers an A+ Incentive Scholarship.
A+ Scholarship Eligibilty Requirements for Raytown High School
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Attend a designated A+ high school for 2 years prior to graduation.
- Cummulative unweighted grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- 95% or higher attendance record overall for grades 9-12.
- Perform at least 50 hours of unpaid tutoring within Raytown School District.
- Maintain a record of good citizenship and avoid the unlawful use of drugs and/or alcohol while in grades 9-12.
- Proficient or Advanced on the Algebra I EOC or qualifying ACT score on the Math Subsection (see scale below).
How do I start?
- Attend a mandatory A+ Orientation. Orientation dates for the 2023 Fall Semester are TBD.
- Turn in your A+ Contract. Contracts are shared wtih students during the mandatory orientation. On the contract, you will list your hours of availability for tutoring and select the elementary or middle school in which you would like to tutor. Contracts should be returned to Counseling Secretary.
- Check your email. Students will be notified via their RSD email when they have been matched with a school/teacher and can start their A+ tutoring.
- Turn in your tutoring logs. Be sure to turn in your tutoring logs as you complete them to the Counseling Center. Make a copy of your logs before you submit them.
- Monitor your attendance and GPA. After you complete your 50 tutoring hours, it is important to ensure that you maintain the required GPA (2.5 or higher) and attendance percentage. Keep in mind, you must meet all A+ Scholarship requirements by the time you graduate to be considered A+ eligible.
Once a student has enrolled in RHS, they are identified as an A+ participant and A+ requirements are tracked in SISK12. We encourage ALL of our students to actively participate in the program preparation, not only to have a focus for success during their 4-years at RHS, but to keep the door of opportunity open as a plan A or plan B after high school. So much can happen in the 4-years following graduation that students have available to use the A+ incentive ... life happens and plans change! RHS wants our students to be successful and have the resources they need when they need them!
For more information about the A+ Scholarship, contact your assigned counselor, our College Advisor, or click here: A+ Scholarship Program Department of Education Website